Skip to main content

The world for some spice

This is a bit of a rant, it was going to be a twitter thread but I realised I had more to say that a few posts so thought I would take the liberty of this space - after all, that is what it is here for.

But, the editing - typos, spelling, phrasing etc - will all be a bit off, as I write this in rant and in rush.

Two things happened yesterday that are connected, and another thing this morning that is adjacent to the same thinking. 

Firstly - 
I listened to Take A Bao podcast (which I am going to write about more Kavey Eats blog for next week), and I was reminded how it is pitched for a global audience, it is talking about global food trends, but what makes is so great is that it completely takes out a western-centric narrative. 

This isn't a food podcast that explores politics, it is a gentle, interesting look at various interesting foods and drinks. It just takes the assumption that Asian foods are interesting to all, and that to talk about it we don't have to exoticise, or dumb down, or place within a western context. And yes, this is a show about Asian food, so why would it need a western-centric narrative? But, it is written for a global audience, and english-speaking global ear. The presenter, Jun, I think is in Malaysia, but has written for (and lived in?) American publications, and the language feels American, and yet it still isn't Western or Global North centric. 

Why? Because it looks to experts all over the world, and gently reminds us that food has a long history across the globe. There is no tone of adventure or of unusual-ness. It takes that stance that the food we are discovering in the episode is 'normal' to someone. 

So what happened yesterday is that I realised I was listening to something that felt familiar to all my worlds, that my experiences of being Asian, in the Global North was a 'normal' thing. I have written in other occasions about holding multiple identities at the same time, as opposed to seeing being mixed-race/cultures as caught in between, and this podcast epitomises this for me. 

Secondly - 
Last night I watched Great British Menu. And dear god, can the British food world please learn to talk about spice? Firstly, there is heat and there are aromas, and other nuances, these are different things. The catch all of 'spice' is lazy.

John Chantarasak was one of the chefs, he is half Thai and from Wales. He trained in Bangkok and has worked predominantly in (very successful) Thai restaurants. His food is reflective of him, it is influenced by Thai and British food culture - I would say that it leans towards Thai food with British produce, but I don't think it needs to boxed up like that (his food is a bowl that holds multiple identities). His food has been enjoyed by a wide range of people, across the world. He has never compromised the way he cooks, and this has been met with pleasure from eaters (Marina O'Loughlin's review of his food is excellent.)

The way chef and judge Lisa Goodwin Allen first spoke about John's food was so poorly phrased. I can't remember the exact wording but it was enough for JB to turn to me and say "a chef should not speak like that about food". I hold my tongue sometimes in these moments, as I know that I am tuned into these nuances - but if a Frenchman, half watching a show whilst he looks on his phone and eats dinner was shocked... well, then, it was bad.

It was framed around her tastes, and that something outside her taste preference was problematic. It was said without contextualising that to balance spices is a skill, it is a skill that all chefs utilise - the balancing of flavours. It is simply that. And, some chefs have a palate for different profile of flavours; and it should be that a good chef can understand a flavour profile even if it is not something they enjoy. Michael O'Hare did better, his feedback was that it was an excellent dish, but the heat was high "I'm a chef, so am used to different flavours but I can only just deal with this heat. Take it down 20% and you'd get 100% enjoyment" (slight paraphrasing). This feedback says it works but it's about a broad audience, and we all know that chefs can be 20% extra on all sorts of things so this feedback felt 'normal'.

Can you imagine if Sommeliers only recommended wine they like? They find pleasure it understanding the different profiles. 

What this does is makes 'spice' an other.

Which, in Britain it is not.

So, if you want to start saying that this is Great British Menu and so what does Thai flavours have to do with Britain - well, John, and all the other British people with Thai heritage, prove that Thai food, Thai people, Thai culture are very much a part of the identity of Britain. To not, is to deny John's identity, legitimacy and British-ness. 

Thailand does not have a colonial history with the UK, but its spices do. The global movement that was colonialism is entrenched in spice, in food in general. The first guild in the UK was the Pepper Guild, for pepper obvs, started in the 1200s, and is now the Guild of Grocers. Christopher Columbus set off to find the a new route to the 'Spice Islands' (which, in a slightly simplified telling, are islands in Indonesia) so that Spanish could get a dominant 'leg over' on the lucrative spice trade that Europe were battling for. New York is what it is because the Dutch traded it with Britain for the Banda Islands in Indonesia for the monopoly of nutmeg. The jostling between Europe for domination over so many spices mean that spices are entrenched in our system, and it's about fucking time we learnt how to talk about it.

These two things are about decolonising our food culture. To make normal diverse food cultures, and understand that the British identity is complex and varied, especially when it comes to food. Decenteralising the food narrative, away from the Western (imagined) idea of what food and flavour is.

Thirdly, Alicia Kennedy's newsletter today. She speaks about 'the gentrified mind' of the food narrative. To me, this sits adjacent to the idea of decolonising food. I am not going to repeat what she says - go read it for yourself. But she investigates the idea of who is allowed to have a voice in this COVID-19 world. It is about unchecked power. The 'leaders' are the people that had voices before, because they are familiar, despite doing nothing to lead and rather are further jeopardising the restaurant industry with harmful practices. 

I felt deeply uncomfortable with the Gabrielle Hamilton NYT piece, despite understanding that it was poignant. I wanted to know why she was allowed to have a voice? Yes, her restaurant might not survive and yes, that is sad and it was great that she asked whether her restaurant was even needed. But, her dealing with the Spotted Pig affair was so, so harmful, that I don't want to hear her voice. I want to hear from people who don't have books published, who haven't had a thriving career until now. Those who have got to survive, now. Those are the voices that need to be heard. 

Why is she allowed to speak for an industry, when she is representative of very few of the people in it?

(I do think that we need to complicate the conversation, therefore I am not saying her piece shouldn't have been run, but it should not have been a voice that was prioritised. Other voices, need to be heard first. We need to see who can be the leaders.)

We need to de-colonialise and de-gentrify our food world, if we can even begin to see a future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con