Skip to main content

Bodies broken into boxes

The launch of Sourced's new season on Trees had me thinking a lot about landscape, and the systems of landscape, and how us humans are part of that systems. 


I have a lot of feels, after so much reading I do, that doesn’t always allow for concise ‘academic’ or ‘journalistic’ writing - there is no argument to be made. When I think of landscapes, I often think of trees, of the jungle. And this thinking is always a visceral one, the feeling of a landscape on my skin, in my bones, and translation down generations. 


I’m interested in how colonialists saw these ‘new world’ landscapes; there were ‘Enlightened’ thinkers who deeply thought about the environment, but saw the environment as an influence on the people as opposed to a conversation - the landscape was a un-thing; oppressive even. The environment was a way to justify a hierarchy of race, and from there racial definitions became ways to legitimise slavery, exploitation… our beloved environment was a reason to subjugate. So my blog post this month is the feels I get from all this information swimming in my head, it is about the colonised body existing in multiple times. 


***


They came to our lands and proclaimed a system of knowledge that was unrelated to the landscape before them. They claimed knowledge of the space were they stood, and ownership of the land they stood on. They came with the arrogance of words, and the inability to listen. 


They looked to the environment, and claimed ‘environmentalists’ approaches, and seeked to impose the environment on our bodies to lay claim and to denigrate our world. Eighteenth-century philosophers said that brown and black bodies ‘stagnated’ because of the landscape they existed in. This view was about how space and land affect the human, not how can the human converse with the world. They could not imagine the sophistication in listening, in hearing, in responding. The mapping of worlds, on to bodies; the breaking down and analysing difference and categorising what they did not understand. Bodies broken into boxes, to be defined and later to be studied. 


Our world became a system of misunderstanding. Our bodies etched in the way a section of the world saw us. A German Johann Friedrich Blumenbach broke the bodies of the world down into five - Caucasian, Mongolia, Ethiopian, American and Malay - claiming whiteness as ‘the most beautiful form’ and said the climate broke our bodies down be lesser than1. And our nuances became radicalised as points of box to be ticked. Hierarchy and boundaries were placed on our skin - to be ruled, traded, sold. 


They arrived.  


Came into our mists and forests, circumvented our lakes, and rode up our rivers. They hacked their way through our jungles and drained our lakes. 


The arrival. 


When we look back into our stories we find the beginning of a world comes with an arrival. We arrive at a place: a fish fished out of an ocean, a god dropped onto a land, the world from the back of a turtle. But we stumble on this new world, we are foreign and vulnerable and we seek help in the landscape we are in, the animals already there.


“It is good to remember that the original woman was herself an immigrant” Robin Wall Kimmerer writes2. How do we become indigenous, how do we become Indigenous? We must first dream, and our dreams must be part of the environment we sink our feet into, and we must listen and hear and respond. We must ask to be part of the new world we have found ourselves in, allowed to be let into the rhythms. 


This isn’t about ‘assimilating’ in the racist systems that brown and black bodies are subjected to when we moved West. Systems that became racist because “you were there”, because whiteness decided to be white and decided categories before we came to ‘you’. This is about assimilating into systems of nurture. 


Moving west. We moved West after they were in our space, places of home. They moved westward and stole spaces, places of home. New worlds. Move to and through. 


Asking to be part of a new world is about dreaming of the future that is not about gaining in the immediate. They arrived, like us in our myths, but they arrived without the notion to listen and instead with a notion to take. They didn’t dream of a future, not in the way we did. Some moved to hope for a future - working men and women who had not been allowed a future in their homes, so seeked a new home and in turn made whiteness settle into notes of states - they were limited by the rules and structures that only allowed them to see their future, and not the future of the trees and the plants and the peoples who homes they invaded. 


Our bodies respond to the landscape, and I feel the many landscapes I have existed in, mapped out on my body. I feel the wind through my hair, as if it has been there before time, before I knew time. My body seeks warmth, the sweat of dusk; but I also feel the chill of an autumn mist in highlands of ancestry. And I am born over and over again as shapes of hills echo inside as if I have seen them before. It feels impossible to me to not recognise how the shape of a place is part of its people and cannot be categorised into neat little boxes. Bodies broken. 


And these boxes exclude the histories of collaboration and connectivities we already had across oceans and seas. We spoke and we laughed and we schemed and we traded, across the Indian Ocean and we had kingdoms and we had villages and we had jungles that were cosmopolitan, even amongst the canopy of thick jungles. When you were locked in land with Roman dominance and gothic wars, black pepper was traversing from the Western Ghats to Indonesia and on to China; 100 BCE, 392 CE, 1178 CE3 are dates recorded of complex trading. We knew the world, before they could comprehend it. They learnt from us, and corrupted the learning with greed. (Although there is greed everywhere and my nostalgia clouds the stories of these, but those stories still pale in comparison to the brutality Europe unleashed on the world).


They arrived with the ignorance and the arrogance to dominate. And to dominate is to subjugate. And to do so it proves that you are better than. And to be better than, you must find borders around your identity, build sticks to square yourself. To define, and refine, YOU, them. So that WE must bounce off your borders and not feel kin, not build bridges, not find commonality, not share knowledge. You created a them, and an we. It could have been us, all, together.  


But it seems so funny that your search for difference and domination comes from your misunderstanding of environment, seeing our landscape as lesser, and yet exploitable riches from it. Our nature enriched us, gave you riches, and could have saved the world. But you didn’t listen, you just spoke - carving up the world into little boxes: people, land, produce, product. 


We, you, them, us will continue to arrive in new spaces - and how we can become native and how can we listen and hear, and respond? And how does our place in the landscape become one that does not break bodies into boxes?




1The Chinese in Britain 1800 - Present, Gregor Benton , Edmund Terence Gomez pg 287

2Braiding Sweetgrass, pg8

3The Banana Tree at the Gate, Michael R Dove, pg53


Note: I write this all with the thought of Palestine and the genocide that is happening there, very much in mind; as much as I think about my history and come to terms with generational understanding of landscapes on my own body. Bodies being broken and put into boxes, it is not a story of the past. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con