Skip to main content

NOVEMBER 2014: Mission, E2

Mission is that lover you want roll around with all day on a grey Sunday, till your hair is in knots and you just don’t care. The lover whose scar on his left hip you want to run your tongue over and hear the story of how it got there, time and time again. Unlike Pollen Street Social, who has no scars.

Side note: these are restaurants; restaurants do not have hips or scars. This is a metaphor, in English class at high school we were told that these were good to use in creative writing.

How and why we ending up at Mission was because of Drapers Arms, our favourite pub. Favourite because we can bring the dog, eat great food, drink great wine and have great service. Pretty standard needs, but often hard to get. On Broadway you would say Drapers Arms was a triple threat. One day we went and the food was great, but different. With a little sleuthing we discovered it was a new chef – so where was James de Jong? Another sleuthing affair (Google) lead us to Mission. Who were Mission? We discovered that Mission was Sager + Wilde's restaurant, opening very soon. Nancy Drew, we're after your job!


OMG Sager + Wilde were opening a restaurant! Wicked. So of course once open, we went! We went on a Monday night, which really is my favourite night (see post about Pollen Street Social about what are my favourite times to eat).

Mission, and James de Jong's food, is how I like to eat. Perfection and comfort, messy and purposeful, warmth and detail all wrapped up in a plate of love. It is home through rose-tinted glasses. It’s not 'my home' (that would be rice and chicken curry) but you can taste that it is someone's home. You can eat the memories and the nostalgia.

As per usual in very place, some things are fine (the mussels) some things are amazing (the lentils). Or at least you hope you get amazing, to counteract the 'just fine' plates.

So the lentils - they came with gorgeous lamb. But I just want to talk about the lentils, cos that's what excited me the most and I think sums up Mission the best. They tasted the way my herb garden smells after an autumn shower. Earthy and fragrant – rosemary, thyme, sage, all fresh and wet and light. It was like tasting part of a colour spectrum – where blues fades into green, that fades into yellow - you can taste each flavour, but you don’t know where one flavour starts and the other finishes. Across it all, a lightness (citrus?) so that the earthly flavours were never dragged down to musk.

Given that Sager + Wilde are a wine bar, it is understandable that the front of house was excellent - knowledgeable and friendly. Such expertise!

I started with champagne, which was fine. But I should have done what JB did – had a glass of white wine. He had a delicious Californian (probably a chardonnay). He totally won that round! We requested a surprise for dinner – criteria: a Californian red, between £80 - £100 (we wanted the wine to be the star of the meal, so pushed our usual budget).

All I can remember was that it was a La Pleiade vineyard! Should have taken a photo – too busy having a good time.

It was £89, was an unusual blend, one of the grapes was pinot noir. We were made to guess the grape/s, which was fun. We managed to guess the pinot, probably why that's pretty much all I remember about the details. But it was delicious! Perfect for what we were eating, on a blustery, Monday night (not too heavy, as it was the beginning of the week, but also nice and warming).

And then, and then... I'm getting all excited and want to tell you all at once!

The attention, the enthusiasm and the knowledge of the staff was super cool. It made the eating interesting and pleasurable. 

The drinks menu was superb. Of course, I hear you say, but – it's what they do with the menu and the ethos behind a lot of the drinks. There are a number of drinks (predominantly post-dinner) where the mark up is barely there. You can have a tea for £8 that is usually £27 in posh hotels. There are cognacs for £5 that are near double that in other places.

I feel that this restaurant is about "you". It is about you being able to access the best meal you can have. And the meal starts from when you walk into the door, till when you walk out, it's not just about the food. It's about every detail.

My friend said to me today that what makes a good meal 'good' is - the staff, the food, the ambience, the dĂ©cor… the full package. And when it's good, it's emotional. She said she's been near tears when it's been good; and is always turned on, when it's good.

And you know what happens when you're good? Santa gives you presents! Let's all be a little bit naughty and a little bit nice and definitely good, for Santa.

We ate there right at the beginning of Novemeber, 2014.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con