Skip to main content

OCTOBER: Munich, Berlin and great design

The ace thing about London? The ease of travelling, in general, but of course to Europe. And Munich, you've been gorgeous. 

This was my first trip to Munich. I've been going to Berlin once or twice a year since 2012 (and have been as a few times before that), it has been really interested to see the eating and drinking scene change, and I was curious to see what Munich was like. 

Of course there are always going to be wonderful restaurants in cities like Berlin and Munich, but those are generally outside my income; what I am interested in is the development of the average, everyday eater. Berlin has great cafes, and bars, but the ‘wine bar’ and thoughtful but affordable neighbourhood restaurants wasn't really there the first few times I was in Berlin. This contrasts to what is happening in London (this is of course due to the difference economies and indeed structure of London in comparison to Berlin). But in Berlin it has been growing in the last year or so. I was only in Munich for a couple of days, but it felt in the same culinary space as Berlin.


I feel this  culinary drive that is beginning to happen in these cities has come from a different train of thought than London. What is most prevalent is great design. The movement into a food conscious society feels to be from the point of making beautiful spaces. This could come across as style over substance, but somehow it doesn't. I think this is because in both Berlin and Munich I constantly saw simple, practical, but beautiful design decisions. When you start with this aesthetic the food and and service slips into place and matches with its surroundings.

Berlin spaces often have a very industrial sense to it, but unlike what is becoming of London, it isn’t a forced stripping back to exposed pipes. These are building with a huge history of destruction and it is simply being thoughtful and not creating facades. Then there are all the details - once you have a clean, beautiful structure, it is the details of great wine glasses and crockery and vases and tables and… and that adds to a calm and engaging space to be in, to relax and enjoy yourself. These details and the sensitivity to space seems to be seen in the places I went to and passed in Munich. Of course there is bad design (check out Natalie Kane’s blog post about Bikini Berlin), but there is a clear attention to detail both in Munich and Berlin that is exciting. 

I was only in Munich for a couple of days, so I didn’t seem much, but what I did see was interesting and got me thinking. 

My overall point is that Germany is going to be an exciting place to look to for hospitality, and it is going to come from a place of having good taste. German wines are also really underrated and delicious. so that will be a driver too - food will rise to the standards of the wine and it’s surroundings. 

Consuming details:
Thursday night at Oktoberfest I had half a duck, potato dumplings and red cabbage, and of course a stein of beer.
Friday lunch at Teresea's Restaurant I had a great burger (hungover), with wonderful homemade bbq sauce.
Friday night at Cantine Contana I had lot so of good stuff, particularly a mackerel. I drank a really great sparkling wine - Dicker Fritz, Methode Rurale, Rheinhessen. A good resiling - 2013, Battenfelf Spanier; and a great light yet earthy Pinot Noir, perfectly balanced - 2012 Obsession Sven Klundt Pfalz. These were the cheapest on the menu I think, but I chose them because I *love* Riesling and Pinot Noir, so I didn’t want to drink anything else. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con