Skip to main content

A question of etiquette: Copenhagen

I went to Copenhagen and got swept away. It was a cold-ish October, but that didn't matter, Copenhagen is all about the hygge. Hygge is refined coziness, that equates to the glow of candles amongst beautifully designed furniture.  


Let's get straight to the point and agree that the Danes have taste. They know how to smooth off all the edges and bask in perfect harmony of colour palettes and few patterns. And lighting, everywhere the lighting is so 'correct'. In fact, I'd loath to come in summer, when the need for side lights become almost obsolete with the late setting sun.

Hygge really excelled in the wine bars, and so the combination of impeccable service, beautiful space and drinking wine is my vision of the next realm.

But. But... As well some of the most amazing food, Copenhagen is also the place I had the worst dish I have ever eaten. And at a renowned establishment. What do you do when that happens?! Seriously, what do you do?

I've asked my friends who cook for a living, and they said the dish sounded like a classic combination - kohlrabi and apple. It was thin slices of charred kohlrabi, with apple purée. So much purée. The type of purée that I would've made, slushed up and put in with my muesli and yogurt. The kohlrabi was chewy and the whole thing was acidic. Acidity that stuck to the back of my throat, worming its way up to my nasal passage like smoke rising.  No seasoning. At all. There wasn't much seasoning in general in the food I had, but other dishes were compensated by the produce shining through.

But back to the important question, a question of etiquette - what do you do, in a highly acclaimed restaurant, on a tasting menu, eating alone and you hate a dish?

I've been brought up to eat everything I've been given, particularly when in someone else's house. Now the thing with creating 'hygge' infused (infested) environments, is that everywhere feels like someone's home. All the welcoming glow does, is make me comfortable, at home, and, well... feel obliged.

I ate it. Gulped it down, gluggy mouthful at a time. I said 'thank you, it was lovely' when the plate was cleared.

The offending dish:



















Places to go, with some comments from me and my friend who lives there:


Falernum 
Vinstue - Lovely little wine bar/ sort of bistro, not too pricey if you share some things. 
Vinhanen - really delicious wine, platters of meats and cheeses for around a tenner.
Warpigs - a brewery! Great ales and delicious mac and cheese.
Vedstranden 10 - This was really cute wine bar 
Host - 3 courses for 325 kroner and meant to be wonderful. Wine on top but we don't have to go crazy. 
Kjobenhavn - 3 courses about 30quid. It's a New Nordic sort of place 
Madklubben - Generally good service and good food at a reasomable price. 
Manfreds - Its 250kroner for 7 small courses 
Relae - I really wanted to go, but forgot to book in time!


Lots of lovely photos of my weekend in Copenhagen. Including business card of a place I loved, great open top sandwiches, delicious breakfast at a 'porridge bar' and a picture of a wine bar, and one of my friend's apartment - can you tell which is which!? #hygge














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con