Skip to main content

Who gets a seat at the table? What is the table?

I have been thinking a lot about diverse voices and representation.

Representation is important. Platforming, showcasing, promoting people that don't usually get coverage, changes the game.

It changes the game by drawing attention to, and therefore leading to, accolades. Accolades bring in business (usually), and media exposure does that too. And also, accolades, brings rewards and leads to more diverse leadership and people of authority.

Better articulated here:
If you're thinking how can we make the food world more diverse, here are somethings you can do.

But. But. It's not just about representation. Representation helps people dream and achieve. But, it doesn't directly address the systemic quietening of marginalised voices. To change that, you have to put money where your mouth is.

Have a diverse payroll. Pay people. Money shows confidence. Money shows value. PoC, and other 'others' have been doing the grunt work for so long. And giving exposure or a platform is not enough.

I was telling a friend (middle aged, middle class, white dude) about a show I liked - how diverse the people in were. As I started breaking it down, how the guest experts were a lot of WoC... he stopped me, "but Anna, the three hosts are white dudes. This is not diverse, the hosts are the ones this is about, which means they call the shots... [as much as tv hosts can, it is more an idea of control]" I realised I'd been so starved of representation I couldn't see that this was still a power dynamic - or lack of power. (Side note, some older white dudes are ok, some got your back 🙃)

To be brutal, the success of our current economic society is off the back of brown and black peoples bodies - from slavery, to indentured workers and colonialism. We can no longer just wheel in an 'other' voice, to add colour to a narrative, and pat backs for showcasing diversity.

This does not create equality, this does not create equity.

Because it doesn't change the narrative. We need diverse voices shaping narrative, building, extending stories beyond just being a face. We need to call the shots, not just dream of being seen as experts.

What narrative? What is a narrative?

This is not a dig simply at media. This is about businesses in general. This is about professionalism, careers and livelihood. ALL organisations have stories to tell, and those stories and strategies need to have a diverse workforce to be part of the core business' driving force.

So, it's pretty simple. Hire, pay and give credit to diverse people. Don't just use our expertise, dangle 'exposure' and platform in front of us... value us as equals and part of the power systems.

*this doesn't mean I'm against working for free, if everyone is in it together. I have a lot of passion projects, which pay in different ways.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con