Skip to main content

SEPTEMBER: Dreaming big and media’s disservice to the hospitality industry


 I have a couple of points of contention that I need to air. Better late than never.

This year’s Great British Menu was celebrating the WI (Women’s Institute) and yet only 4 of the 24 chefs competing where women. Seems a weird way to celebrate women’s contribution to the British heritage and indeed it’s culinary history; unless of course the attitude is women cook, and men are chefs (aka the professionals)’ which is exactly the message this gives.

This undermines the work that women are doing in the industry; it undermines the industry as a whole. There are more than 4 women in the UK at that standard. The National Restaurant awards named Barafina as no.1 restaurant this year, a restaurant run by a woman. If the producers had asked more women and they had turned them down, then they need to re-think the structure of the show. Great British Menu no longer shows off the industry as a whole and feels disingenuous.

There is some amazing food this year, and we're only in the heats/regions; there are some wonderful chefs (faves are Michael O'Hare, Matt Gillian, Jak O'Donnell and Lee Westcott). So BBC –do us all a favour, make this programme as good as it can be, don’t rest on your laurels. 


In summer an article was written in the Independent about seven chefs that were changing the culinary world (of London). Seven white men. This is not a new story. This story could have been written three years ago, five, eight, ten years ago. The same story, just different names, less Noma-name-dropping.

Each of the guys mentioned are wonderful, clever chefs, doing AMAZING food, and yes they are changing the way food is being cooked and thought of. But, every generation has a group that does change the landscape, which is how an industry grows (all industries), so pointing out a group of white dudes who are doing that, is not a new story. In fact, the article points out that these restaurants lean heavily on the French 'bistronomie' style of dining from the noughties.

All the chefs came across really, really well. In fact, what would have been more interesting was a proper profile on one of them, no, on each one of them – show them as people, individuals, tell their story – lets really hear the different stories of how cooking can develop, let us as readers get to know what it means to be a chef; let us be inspired by the job and share that with others.

But to lump them all together and say ‘this is the future’ makes London seem like the most boring, predictable place in the world (even if what they are doing is actually exciting). And I don’t think London is boring, by a long shot. It also shows the idea that to be a chef, you need to be and look a certain way; automatically putting off people who don’t (aka, 50% of the population). I wouldn’t have read that article if I hadn’t known people in it – I wonder how many people didn’t because it appeared (on the surface) to not say anything new, it showed a group of people that didn’t relate to them?

White dudes are at the top of XYZ industry – yes, we all know that, tell us something different.

There are more diverse things happening and changing the landscape of London and food. If that was the point of the article, to show how the restaurant world is changing and moving, lets really show off what the UK has to offer, instead of resting on tired old tropes.

If everyone else in the industry is dreaming big, growing in exciting and new ways, purveyors of popular media, you need to get on board; dream big too – we all believe you can.

To end on a positive:
This summer Corbin & King launched an initiative to encourage female chefs back into the kitchen post career breaks after having/bringing up children. This is ace, it’s opening up a conversation, and it’s thinking about a problem and being open minded about how they can solve the problem.


There is a shortage of chefs – it’s been all over the media (social and mainstream), and so this is a creative, positive and exciting way to think through a problem. I think it’s a win-win. I’m excited to see how it goes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con