Skip to main content

SEPTEMBER: Dreaming big

September - the summer wanes, the rain hits the pavement and then just has you’ve accepted the need for jumpers and umbrellas, days of sun. September, decide who you want to be and just go with it, you’re playing with my emotions, my wardrobe choices and my sensibilities.

But that’s the beauty of the first days of autumn. Leaves turn orange as late morning sun shines through their delicate foliage - September is the month where anything and everything can happen, in one day.

This September has been no different.

It’s been a year since Dan and I sat down and devised the Chefs of Tomorrow plan, and now we have a new, bigger, more adventurous idea for the CoT (details soon, as soon as we know…!). It’s exciting to see how one thing, one idea, on one Sunday in September has grown into this new vision of a project (now I’m just being mean cos I can’t tell you the plan). Which reminded me how wonderful it is to work with people who are big thinkers, supportive and enthusiastic. You need to have people around you to bounce idea off, and also people who will listen to your ideas.

For ideas to grow you need to be open to listen to ideas, to not have an ego about always having the winning, the right, the best idea. To grow a business and a project you need to be able to listen and support and encourage other people’s thinking. This is very much the working relationship I have with Dan and indeed all those involved with Chefs of Tomorrow. You can always tone down an idea, you can always work out what isn’t practical, but if you don’t dream big you might not necessarily know where you can get to.


Luckily I also have these listeners in all aspects of my life, who let me bounce ideas off them about where I see myself in one year, two, three, five, ten years. People who push and ask how and why. My friend Natalie, who lives in Berlin (her personal blog is amazing, about how to optimize things), constantly shares ideas, images and her personal thoughts with me – a little image on instagram that makes me think about a problem in a completely different way. My friends Vera, Selena and Ming send me almost daily quotes or articles from people who are thinkers, writers, artists.... The kindness and generosity of people that see something, and think it might inspire me is life changing.

These acts are what make dreams come true. These are moments that expand your mind so that you can see a problem and idea in a whole new way.

London is this glorious place where you need to build your own family. You need to build your own village. I have just come from lunch at Som Saa, which is a wonderful long-term pop-up in Climpson’s Arch, right by my studio. It is a glorious sunny Saturday, I sat outside, drank prosecco, ate sticky rice and delicious spicy food. I saw my friend John, who was one of the CoT chefs, who cooks there, saw Tom, FOH master, who I’ve got to know from always popping in – all these points of contact make for a feeling of neighbourhood, in an otherwise built up, semi-industrial part of London. It creates a feeling of belonging; and when you feel like you belong somewhere, you want to invest in that place, in the people that also belong to that place, and you are able to dream big – your dreaming somehow matters.

Another great thing that happened this September is Som Saa crowdfunded money to open a permeant space. Before I could even check out the details on how I could throw my hat in the ring, they had reached their target! All in three days. It is incredibly lovely to see a local place, with exceptional food and people dream big and achieve.


London has changed; we are well aware that we are in the midst of food affair, where the culinary cult is gaining apostles every day, but what is exciting is that it is still changing. Nothing is still. The landscape is shifting, growing and we are all hands out, minds open wanting to learn. 

Other fun bits that happened this September:
Had lunch at the Marksman Pub, on Hackney Rd with my closest friends. Two had been my best friends since I was 13, one of which was visiting from HK, the other lives in London. There were babies and puppies, it was all very fun and grown up - and yet not, we were still teenagers. Gorgeous food! 


I was on a crusade to get drunk, so dragged half the party to Sager + Wilde, drunk four bottles of red wine, and got my mind changed about Austalian Shiraz!! This is big news. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con