Skip to main content

Ellie's drinks shelf

Hi Ellie!


I am by no means a bartender, although I spent most of my 20s behind a bar, I had no quest to be the creative. My only talent was that I could work fast and if I didn’t know a cocktail recipe a colleague would yell the ingredients and what it was supposed to taste, like I would be able to figure out pretty quickly the balance of everything.

I think the drinks world can feel a little intimidating. It can feel in accessible because of the technicality of making the product or mixing a drink – like cooking, there are recipes to these things, unlike food, most of the ingredients are not readily available at your supermarket and whip-up-able on a Saturday afternoon. The drinks world can feel like a private party with secret words and handshakes.

But, most people I know in the drink’s worlds are hugely creative, pretty nerdy, and really just want you to enjoy, revel in, take pleasure in, what they make. Just like food, drinks are personal.

Therefore, I like to approach booze like ingredients, something to play around with, to experiment with. This also means that I think booze - and the conversation around booze - is, and can be, a site for identity. Brewing, distilling, fermenting to make drinks were part of a harvest and farming cycle, often to use up leftover produce, and became part of rituals and celebrations. But maybe this is another discussion – or to be furthered at a later stage!

Drinks are part of our social fabric, and your booze cabinet is yours. It is an integral part of your (living room) society, now more than ever! So, I think now is a nice time to think about what all those bottles mean to you, develop your own rituals and celebrations.

I’m enjoying doing my Instagram booze reviews because I have to stop and think about the flavour and I am surprised with what my conclusions are, drinks I thought were horrible, on reflection have merit and I actually might even enjoy!

So, if we think about drinks as ingredients with flavour, I guess the first thing to do is to think about what flavours you like, what drinks you like and why?

Taste thoughts, what I think about is: how does the drink pass over my tongue, where does the sweetness hit (at the beginning of the sip, later?), is it acidic, perfumed, what is the texture?

Structure: I usually think about building a drink as four parts, with a dash of something to give it a bit of jazz – and bitters is perfect for this, but so is a lot of things, including pepper or ginger. I also like to sometimes put a smoky whisky in at the end, to give a bit of depth to a drink, if I want something heartier.

The experiment: Take four things you like, and a one you’re not sure about. Line them up, taste, smell – write notes! By notes I mean “hmmm yummy!” and “ooo a bit bittery, like a lemon peel at the end”, so real technical ;) but things that mean very specific things to you.

Your favourite flavour (e.g a gin) should be the predominant booze, e.g 30% or even 50%.
Discard one of the bottles entirely. And don’t be afraid to switch one bottle out for another, after you’ve tasted.

And really trust your own palate.

Then shake it with ice. Or stir it with ice. Try both, find your favourite.
For glam, put your glasses in the freeze.

The great things about your gins, is that you have a selection of very different types, so just tasting through them will give you an idea of what profiles they have and what flavours you’d like to bring out – or subdued. And, when you come up with a recipe you like, you can substitute the different gins and see how it all changes.

I find this part super fun.

And there are basics that you can be inspired by, these are three that I kind of mirror what I have in the booze cabinet on.
Negroni: 1part dry botanicals (gin), 1 part bitter (Campari), 1 part sweet (vermouth rosso)
Gin Fizz: Mostly dry botanicals (gin), topped up with sparkling (water, but why not just go with bubbles!) and a squeeze of acidity (lemon)
Manhattan: 2 parts sweet/oak/caramel (Kentucky bourbon), 1 part fragrant sweet (French vermouth) 1 part sweet (sweet Italian vermouth)

But first
, pour yourself a wee tipple of the amazing Japanese plum wine, one ice cube.


These are just my thoughts, and the way I approach my slightly ridiculous booze cabinet that seems to have the gambit from whisky to herbaceous French mountain liquors and every flavour profile in between! By no means a professional, just titted about in the food and drinks world for 20years, serving, and now writing about it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Body Eats

When I first saw Pina Bausch’s The Rite of Spring (1975) I remember feeling a deep hunger. My belly rumbled, my torso tightened and the muscles sucked into my belly button as my body concaved in on itself. I could feel my arms wanting to desperately reach out and seek things to fill me up, to bring close to me, to suck up and consume. I wanted to devour the world. I watched it the first year of my Performing Arts undergraduate, where I thought I would major in dance and movement. In the end I didn’t, switching in the final semester to acting, after struggling to feel fully comfortable with my body moving through space for people to watch. I decided I preferred to hide behind words. Dance has always been a space of thirst, for cravings, for desire – a way to seek out and pursue, a way to rampage through ideas. Moving to be sated. Finishing dance exams growing up I would always be hungry, never being able to eat when nervous. Navigating how to feel in leotards, in front of mirrors, o

A restaurant review: of Instagram Stories

With the importance of ‘brand’, of storytelling and the prolific use of social media to attract customers, it seems appropriate to me that restaurants can be judged through the prism of Instagram and the fleeting tool of Stories. It is after all, a curated space for the business to tell their story. This is a piece of writing that was difficult to write because it hit emotional points that are sometimes hard to articulate, so this is a string of thoughts.  Food is the focal point of a restaurant, to be examined and appraised. It is often thought. In communities which have a robust food culture the dissection of dishes is an act of bonding, of creating memory and building connection to space and time and place. “We eat to remember place” anthropologist David Sutton writes, in his work reflecting the Greek island of Kalymnos.  Restaurants have a history and an anchor in the idea of being spaces of restorative-ness, of gathering and of being with people, of nourishment.  In the capitalist

The undoing and redoing of me

I am often thinking about the line between public and private, the way it wavers, blurs, disappears. In a world of social media it is a question for everyone, and not just for the stars, royalty, politicians. For me the question broadens into the realm of work. Where do I begin, and where do ‘I’ end. The ‘I’ must interrogate my place within power structures, within cultural narratives, within relatability.  My academic research was about a community I am part of, through my father. It was an ‘objective’ approach to examine storytelling, but because it was not a culture I participated in on a daily basis I was constantly negotiating my position in the work, my lens in the re-telling, my biases, my outside-ness and my inside-ness. The story of me became integral to the condition of the research. And, as my professional career has progressed, my approximation to this culture, one that is less known in the wider world, means I have become a tool to crack into these spheres - I have the con